Friday, March 11, 2011

BLOG ASSIGNMENT #10 (Written response to FREAK FACTOR)

Link to FREAK FACTOR: http://changethis.com/

Written response
Summary/Critique:
           The reading “The Freak Factor” which was written by David Rendall is a really useful resource for all people. He explained a very normal problem that everybody has: our flaws and strengths. He explained his ideas by using nine different parts. First, what’s your problem? In this part, he gave the reader three choices for self-improvement. Those are fix weaknesses, build on strengths, and do both of them. He also mentioned that on one can be well-rounded. In the second point, he pointed out three basic ideas, those are, there is nothing wrong with you, you find success when you find the right fit, and your weaknesses make you different. In the third point, he explained that everybody has different characteristics. Every flaw has a corresponding strength. In the fourth point, he pointed out a real fact which is, we all have limitations. Then, we need to build on our strengths, if we don’t, we lost it. He also explained that we need to find a right spot for ourselves and we need to make our strengths and situations fixed. Basically, in this reading, David told people how to find and use weaknesses and strengths, and using them to make ourselves become success.
Respond:
1. What’s your problem?
I think the first suggestion is the most important one to overcoming weaknesses, it is absolutely valid. The reason is, before we start to improve ourselves, we have to know and understand what our problems are. There is nothing important than understand ourselves, meanwhile, there is nothing harder than realize what problem we have. I am pretty agreeing what David said in this article, no one can be well-rounded. What I thought for myself is, in order to have a better personality, improving my creative skills, I need to fix my weaknesses and build on my strengths every day. It looks like an easiest work during a day, however, that’s not easy if I keep doing that every day. Not just for me, I think it is also hard for everyone.
4. Don’t try to fix your weaknesses.
Many people pay too much tension on their weaknesses. They believed that other people will only focusing on their flaws. The reason I choose this suggestion is no one will be perfect, no matter who you are. Everyone has limitations in some areas. Also, this is equal for everyone. In addition, I think after I put my weaknesses away, I can do better for my job, work, or even some creative projects. If I don’t try to fix my weaknesses, I will have more time on my job; also, I will have more space for my work. Weaknesses like chains, they can lock my imagination, lock my creative process.
5. Build on your strengths.
What an important suggestion is, people are proud of their strengths. In order to make our strengths stronger, we need to build on it forever. I agree this idea is valid because many people spend too much time on fixing their weaknesses, time after time, their strengths have no improvement. The result is they are just normal person without any characteristics. No special weaknesses, no special strengths. For myself, I believe that building on my strengths can make my characteristics more clear and special. Also, during the process I build on my strengths, I can find out and create what my creative way is, what my style is.
My strengths and weaknesses (the creative process):
When I try to create something, I always care about what other people’s attitude on my work. I think that’s not a good habit. The reason is, when I start to caring those attitude, I will waste too much time on thinking about what will happen after people look at my project. I care about that too much, if they like my works how can I improve it in the future; if they don’t, I will spend more time on why they don’t like it. Actually, I just start to create it, however, I am thinking too much. It will block my creative process.
My strength is, I think I have a great imagination. Actually, we need a good imagination when we create something. To be honest, I think it is really important to be a successful creator.   

No comments:

Post a Comment